During this last week I had a new idea ( that’s probably not so new). I decided to cut the TV in our house. Not entirely, it’s too drastic. But TV now is only at 7 pm and only for an hour. I must admit that I’ve attempted this before and didn’t really follow through. .. and also came up with a bunch of excuses. So, this is just another trial, filled with my will power to make it happen.
After 3 days of withdrawal I saw something that brought me more Joy that I’ve experienced in this last year after Ana was born. This is the reason that I am writing this--to remind myself of the power of the imagination of my children and their amazing capability to adapt.
After I picked up Lucas at school, we came home (no play dates, no museum or entertaining activities). I opened the door and thought to myself , “ no TV Lara, you are just going to have to be creative and come up with something.” Unfortunately, I was exhausted and under the weather. Early in the morning I took Ana to the doctor with me and she was “delightfully loud” to the point that I apologized to every single person at that office. It was a long ordeal.
Now at home, while the kids were eating lunch, my brain kept thinking “what is your sick body and tired brain going to with these kids after lunch?” Well, they had lunch, and Ana took off and went to play downstairs. Lucas was playing with his food and I was looking at his plate and thinking “soon, he is going to ask me to see a show and I don’t know what I will say”. I mean, I could say no, but as parent I feel obligated to offer some form of entertainment…some cool project. So I kept doing the dishes, Lucas finished his food, and to my surprise, he went down to the basement where Ana was. I felt great! He didn’t ask me for a television show!
I got so happy that I sat down to read my book. I felt relaxed.
I heard the sound of the radio on the background, thought to myself “ humm…they must be dancing.” After a while, I heard giggles. Two giggles.That was unusual…they are both having fun together? Not hurting each other or fighting for toys? Actually laughing together? I must see this.
I slowly stepped downstairs, tip-toeing so I would not be noticed. I just set my head on the end of the stairs and there they were: Inside the tent, with the dogs, both of them--- I mean the four of them! They had zipped up the tent, which is a soft transparent net. And as I could see inside, they were having a blast in that place of their own. Sitting together, petting the dogs, dancing, sitting again and looking at each other… laughing like longtime friends do. They made their own fun. They were satisfied and I wasn’t even part of their project. They were independently happy.
And that lasted an hour followed by a nap. And so I sit here writing while they sleep, so I won’t forget this lesson.
Que delicia!!Parabens! Vc eh uma mae nota dez. estou sempre aprendendo com vc. Os dias q o Max nao assisti tv ou assisti muito pouco , ele dorme melhor e fica uma crianca mais calma.
ReplyDeletebjo com saudades nos meninos, vc, evan and dogies.